You can take advantage of the student price on public transport if you come from or live in one of Föli municipalities (Turku, Kaarina, Raisio, Lieto, Naantali, Rusko). Those aged 15-19 can travel with a young person´s card, which entitles users to the same ticket prices as a student card. To take advantage of student prices for travel you will need a card - these cards are personal and cost €5. The student discount does not apply to single tickets. Read more about prices here.
Granting criteria for a Föli student card
Turku region public transport grants a student card to students fulfilling the following criteria:
- The student’s home municipality is located in the Föli region (Turku, Kaarina, Naantali, Lieto, Rusko, Raisio), or they have listed one of the Föli region’s municipalities as their temporary address in the population registry.
- The student studies at a comprehensive school, upper secondary school, folk high school, vocational institution, university of applied sciences, university or an institute of higher education located in Finland.
- The student is at least 20 years old. Students under the age of 20 can be granted a travel card for young people.
- The applicant is studying on a full-time basis.
- Under normal circumstances, the studies will lead to a qualification or degree (exception: pupils in comprehensive schools, liberal adult education general course students in folk high schools and path students at University of Applied Sciences).
- The estimated total duration of the studies is at least one academic year. The length of the academic year must be at least nine months, for example from September to May.
The student card will not be granted to:
- Post-graduate students of universities and other institutes of higher education, such as licentiate or doctorate students. However, students studying for a Licentiate in Medicine degree are considered to be studying for a basic university degree and are thus eligible for a student discount.
- People in apprenticeship training.
- Students studying abroad.
The necessary certificates for picking up the student card
- Student card application (the form must have the educational institution’s stamp and signature).
- A student card application is not needed, if the student carries a valid student card by SYL or SAMOK, either in a digital format or as a blue card with the institute’s term stamp/sticker, student card by OSKU ry or a SLL student card, Slice, Pivo, Tuudo or Frank -mobile application.
NB! If you are, for example, an exchange student and you don't have a Finnish ID, you should fill in the student card application.
The student card’s right to purchase period generally takes place from the beginning of the educational establishment’s autumn term until the end of September the following year. The student-specific right to purchase period will be recorded on the card. After the right to purchase period ends, student cards are charged in accordance with adult rates. The exception to this is the Tupla card, which can no longer be used after the right to purchase period has ended. The card and its balance can be used again after it has been updated for a new term or changed into an adult travel card at a Föli public transport service point.
The student cards are granted at Föli service points. The card is subject to a purchase fee.
The card is personal and the customer is not allowed to hand it out to another person. In instances of misuse, drivers and ticket inspectors have the right to take the card away from the holder. A confiscated card can be picked up after two weeks from the Monitori Market Square (Aurakatu 8, Turku) for a handling fee of €7.
Balances loaded onto a lost travel card can be transferred to a new travel card for a redemption fee and a handling fee.
The redemption fee will not be compensated.